This Week In The News

featured image

Opel gets a new logo

The iconic emblem, known as the Blitz in German, will retain its lightning-bolt appearance but has been modified to give it a cleaner and more futuristic look befitting the brand’s trajectory.

“The lightning bolt is closely associated with electricity and is the ideal emblem to symbolize Opel’s approach to the era of electromobility,” said the Rüsselsheim-based carmaker.

South Africa’s e-commerce sales

According to a World Wide Work research report, a lockdown-fueled online shopping boom lifted South Africa’s e-commerce sales by 66% last year, to more than R30-billion.

The report found that online sales in South Africa more than doubled in two years to R30.2-billion as consumers became more accustomed to buying goods and services online.

These figures exclude customers sourcing goods online ie vehicles.

The 50th anniversary of BMW’S Plant in Rosslyn

2023 marked the 50th anniversary of Plant Rosslyn, where BMW proudly announced that it had just finished creating the 300,000th example of the X3, which also means the facility has been responsible for an incredible 1.6 million cars since its inception.

Approximately 95.9% of all the vehicles it made were for export markets, while the remaining 4.1% went on to find a home somewhere in South Africa.

First LPG fuel station in South Africa – 40% cheaper than petrol

KwaZulu-Natal-based Isinkwe Energies, in partnership with Ergon Equipment and Prins Autogas, has opened the first liquified petroleum gas (LPG) fuel station in South Africa.

At around R13 per litre at the Isinkwe site, LPG is roughly 43% cheaper than the current price of R22.63 per litre for Petrol 95, said Hartley in an interview with MyBroadband.


Reference: TopAuto